There may be another way

July 2007

There may be another way. If it is, in fact, the voyeurism that I don't like about the idea of journalism, then Gonzo journalism may be just the solution. From the fount of all knowledge (Wikipedia):

Gonzo journalism is a style of storytelling that mixes factual events into a fictional tale. It uses a highly subjective style that often includes the reporter as part of the story via a first person narrative and events can be exaggerated in order to emphasize the underlying message.

The fictional, stylised part sounds a whole lot of fun, but the journalist being part of the story is what really grabs me. None of this ‘I'm just here to watch' rubbish.

(Inspired by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.)

My, how postmodern! Let us by all means revel in our subjectivity, for it is all we have... and all that.

Isn't that just what all fishing tales, holiday stories and etc are?

Upon reflection, I suspect that the four gospels of the New Testament neatly fit this definition. I think that the important thing is that the story is 'true,' without needing to be a rigidly factual-historical account.

So you're thinking something to add to the bible?

uh... Trying again so you're thinking of writing another book to add to the bible?

[incidentally, are we allowed to flag our own posts because their grammar is offensive?]

Nah, that was just something incidental that occurred to me — the gospels fit the definition of gonzo journalism, in that they kinda massage a bunch of discrete events in a larger narrative—leaving bits out, combining others into single events, moving things around in the chronology—and in some cases the authors appear in their stories. Also, they don't really attempt to be an unbiased, objective account of things.

My initial point was that if I was to be any kind of journalist or reporter, I'd use gonzo as a model.